WHAT'S CAUSING THE FIRES?
In a word, humans.
CAN THE AMAZON EVER BE REFORESTED?
Yes, there is hope.
WHAT'S THE CLIMATE TIPPING POINT AND WHAT DOES THE AMAZON HAVE TO DO WITH IT?
The Amazon Basin is called the earth’s lungs because it is responsible for 20% or more of the planet’s oxygen. That’s one-fifth of the air we collectively breath. If enough of it is destroyed, the rainforest will lose its ability to produce rain. Here are five more things to know. Plus more on why this is a “global emergency.”
THE AMAZON IS A "MONUMENTAL UNIVERSE."
“The tallest trees can reach up to 200 feet, almost the height of the towers of Notre-Dame. And now it is their turn to burn.” Read this moving op-ed in The New York Times.
WHERE ARE THE HELPERS?
Indigenous communities (over 30 million people live in the Amazon)
- A 25-year-old indigenous activist talks about the impact on Jair Bolsonaro’s policies.
- Follow @coiabamazonia, @guajajarasonia, and @apiboficial to learn more.
- Conservation International
- Rainforest Alliance
- Amazon Watch (we’ll be donating 1% of sales during September here)
- These Brazilian orgs are working to protect Amazon & Indigenous rights @socioambiental @ipam_amazonia @imazonoficial @saudeealegria
- And many others (scroll to the bottom)
- Thanks, Leo.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?